Monday, August 13, 2007

On the wane

Yesterday I went rollerblading on my favorite trail, which passes through farmland. It was already getting warm by 10 AM when I started
out. Summer was all about me: the sun was bright, the corn green and tall and wild flowers still blossomed red, pink and blue along the trail. And yet subtle changes are beginning to occur; this season is drawing to a end and autumn is creeping ever closer. I looked out over a pond and saw as many shades of brown as green in the reeds and bramble. The red wing black birds, first to arrive in spring, are gone from their perches on the cattails. I used to think that August was still all about summer until several years ago when Jim and I started riding bikes out in rural areas, and was truly surprised to see the browns in the fields. Now I know that summer begins to depart long before the first day of September. And as I skated along, the sun hot on my face, I smiled in anticipation of the coming months, my favorites of all the year.

No comments: