Saturday, August 25, 2007

Work



Even though today is Saturday, I am at my research job. One really nice thing about doing research in Emergency Medicine is that you can work at 8AM Monday or at 3AM Thursday or even 8PM Saturday night and it doesn't matter! The ED is open and seeing patients all day and all night every day of the year, so that's how flexible my job is. Most nurses and doctors who work in Emergency Medicine gravitate toward "in and out" patient care. They like to greet- treat- and street as soon as possible. They also like the rush of having to make fast decisions in critical situations where the patient's life hangs in the balance. Thank goodness for these nurses.

Clinically, that's not my cup of tea. I'm much happier caring for patients in a calmer environment where there is the time to get to know something about them. My nurse soul is fed by the interaction I have with my patients, and in knowing that we- the patient and I- have left a small part of ourselves with the other. I have wonderful memories of small, priceless moments over the years where I know I made a difference to someone having a hard time and equally cherished memories when my patients made a difference forever in who I am by their strength, hope and wisdom. Such wonderful memories.

So, while I am in the ED doing my research thing, I have found a way to bring my nursing preference into my work. Because ED nurses are so busy trying to keep people alive (and hey, that is KIND of important) they may not have time for the little things that nurses like me focus on. So as often as possible, I find ways to interact with these patients by doing some of the things my ED counterparts are too busy for, like getting an extra blanket or pillow, or having a few moments just to talk with the wife of the man in bed 6 who is here for the umpteenth time with heart failure and she is afraid he is giving up. And I think this works for all of us. My hat is off to my fellow nurses everywhere who do what they do, and I am grateful for my research work that lets me mix a little loving care in with the consent forms.

No comments: