Thursday, August 2, 2007

Home away from home

I like my job. Having worked at Ohio State for 20 years and in multiple departments, I have to say that this is probably the best. Usually the people working with you can either make or break any job and I have been very fortunate in that category. My boss is a great doctor who lets me do my work, expresses appreciation for a job well done, and allows me to be flexible with my schedule, knowing I will do what needs done. That alone is enough to make a good job great. But somehow I also have lucked out in that the people who work in our office area are all pleasant. Not one gossip! No backstabbers! That is almost unheard of- usually there is always at least one person who is that "fly in the ointment".
One job I had, also at OSU, was just fine. It was a small group- 5- and everyone had very different jobs to do, which everyone did well. Then one day a new supervisor was hired. She was a graduate of Micromanagement University. Even though she had no idea what each of us actually did, and could not have done any of our work, she still wanted to be in charge of when, how, where and with whom we did that job. My middle child became very belligerent and said, "Self, you don't need to put up with this hooey!" And biblically, I shook the dust from my sandles and got the heck out.
In addition to good people, I like the research work I do. It requires attention to detail and organization and that is appealing to my obsessive/compulsive personality type. (ER docs have to have ADHD. Research persons have to be O/C. It's an unwritten rule.) I also have the opportunity to work with undergrads who do volunteer work here. They are all bright and very eager to add research to their CV. Most are planning to go to medical school.
So every morning I either climb into my little green Beetle or onto my bike and head into work knowing that it probably will be another very good day.

No comments: