Friday, August 17, 2007

Heidi and Peter


My kids have grown up and I am proud of and love both of them. They're different in many ways, as is often the case with siblings, even though they are very close in age and grew up together in the same home. I used to think that children were mostly a product of how they were raised. While I do think that a stable, loving childhood certainly is a positive influence, I have come to conclude that we are formed as humans by many other things as well.
I've been thinking about Heidi lately and how much I treasure the friendship we have. She called me yesterday to tell me about some children she cares for. They are autistic twin boys who just returned from several months away, and she wanted to tell about how they had changed and some of the funny things they said that made her laugh. Two of the things she said are worth mentioning. One is that even though it will make her week extremely busy, she is planning to work with these little guys in addition to several other jobs she has because she understands that their need to return to a structured environment is more important than her need to have time off. Such a caring attitude comes from a good heart. But it is the other thing she said that I treasure most. She said, "I wanted to tell someone about them who would get it". I think she meant someone who would appreciate the relationship that has grown between the three of them and who could feel in their heart how special this was to her. I am honored with that statement, and have been trying to think of a way to tell Heidi how proud I am of her wisdom and personal strength, and not because of anything I did. Her journey here has not always been easy or smooth, but out of her trials she has become wiser- the very best wisdom that stays with a person and helps direct who they are and how they treat others. Even more than this, I want her to know that I will always~ always~ honor who she is and strive to be someone she can talk to without fear of judgement. I can't promise I will always agree with her, but I can promise that I will first acknowledge that her decisions come from a good and wise heart.

No comments: