Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My harvest

This is it, my harvest for 2007. On the positive side, I'm sure it will taste really good. On the other hand, I am thankful that my family wasn't counting on me to put food in their mouths for the next 6 months.
This little project started back in late winter when I decided to try my hand at growing something besides flowers. I ordered a packet of Big Boy seeds, some little peat pots and a light especially designed for seed propagation indoors. Some time in late March, I sowed my lttle seeds as directed, faithfully kept the peat moist (but not wet), and even put a heating pad under the tray to provide needed warmth. In about 10 days, little sprouts started to grow and I was very pleased. At the correct time in spring I set out my little plants behind the garage in one of the few spots that gets sun, thanks to a huge old oak tree in the middle of the yard. The plants grew and grew and GREW until they had shot straight out of the tomato cages supporting them and tumbled over into the lawn. I began to be a bit concerned when, by early July, there was only one little yellow flower I could see amidst all these giant green branches. There were a few more flowers to come, but not many, and most of the handful of tomatoes that did grow were eaten by something while they were still green. I think the problem was that my space didn't have quite enough sunlight.
So maybe next year I will find a different, sunnier spot and try tomatoes again. In the meanwhile, I'll eat the one I grew, and the others my neighbor Frank leaves on the back porch from time to time.

No comments: