Friday, January 23, 2009

Half a Century

Fifty years ago on a cold January night at 11:30, I arrived- all 6+ pounds. And as I celebrate this day, my thoughts are these: tremendous gratitude and acceptance of mortality.
In one of my favorite books/movies, The Thorn Birds, Father Ralph quotes the bible: Man's days are like the grass; the wind blows and he is gone." In accepting that I, like everyone else, will one day be gone from this life, I am able to appreciate the days I have- today and all the years past. And in remembering, there is so much to be thankful for- so many, many gifts.
On one very memorable trip to Washington, we camped near Mt. Rainier. As I lay looking up at the millions of stars spilled across the inky darkness- more than I had ever seen before- I remember thinking :This is enough. If I have no more days, just this moment has made it worthwhile.
The path has not always been straight on my journey, yet I am grateful for the times I lost my way. What wisdom I have was most learned during those times.
And if I do live another 50 years, while I would love to see more of this earth, meet new friends, and welcome new family members, my greatest gift will continue to be my simple life, at home, with my best friend and all of the furry people who share our lives.
Thank you Jim, for everything. To Mom and Dad, Greg, Brian, Michael, Julie and Scott, my growing up family, thank you for your love and tolerance (especially Greg!). To Peter and Heidi and to Leah, my children, all my love. To Ashley, Autumn, Aaron and little Kayden, I am so thankful for you and blessed to have you. To Kurt and Leah, Beth, Billie, and SB- you are treasures and I value your wisdom and friendship so much. To Winnie, Lady, Mistie, PK, Nell (Frizzle), Shackleton, Sammy, Tabitha, Annie, Ernie, Patrick, Jeffrey, Nutmeg, Charlie and Stuart, you make my days happy. To Jessie, love forever. And most of all, thank you to the Creator and Source of all that is good and holy, for this simple life.

No comments: