Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quiet Winter Afternoon

I am where many people in Columbus probably wish they were today: at home on the couch, looking out. It is the quintessential winter day, beautiful in its quiet white softness. Snow has been falling since early daylight, large puffs sliding down from the smokey-blue- gray sky. Everything is snow-covered. From where I sit, I can see the cap over the bird feeder with a smooth mound of about 3 inches of white. Inside, the furnace hums softly, and the cuckoo clock ticks away the afternoon. Nell on my lap, Mistie beside me, Winnie on her quilt, and Annie, Shackleton and Oliver- in descending levels on the cat tree-all nap.

When I hear or read of someone spending a whole day just being lazy, reading in their pajamas or watching movies, it sounds deliciously decadent and I think "I should try that!" However, my nature/comfortable behavior pattern is to be doing. As Jim says, we all have our demons.

Today I have been successful- maybe because this rest is an attempt to heal hip pain that started a couple of days ago and got steadily worse. So maybe, even while resting, it is for a "purpose", not just to do it...Where IS that notebook where I jot down ideas for self improvement?.......

No comments: