Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Heaven

Years ago, a minister told my husband that "heaven will be whatever you need it to be".
In my heaven, animals like this gentle deer won't be afraid of me. She will walk up to me and take corn out of my hand and know that I will never harm her. It will be this way with all animals- domestic and wild. There will be shelter and food enough for every animal. There will be ice for the polar bears and forest for the chimpanzees. Cats and dogs will not live in shelters or wander the streets alone.
I can't honestly say when my huge- and irrational- love of animals became such a part of my soul. Maybe it has something to do with the cats, dogs and rabbits who share our home, each one wonderful and deserving of a good place to live. Maybe it has to do with the state of our earth, with global warming, pollution, and loss of habitat. Whatever the reason, I feel as if I have become the character on Star Trek who had the ability to personally feel the emotional pain others were experiencing. Hearing of animal neglect or abuse literally causes my heart to hurt. I see geese flying overhead and am filled with awe at their beauty; their calls are music to me. I saw this deer bound away across a field, free and graceful. And then I contemplate that people shoot these innocent creatures and I can't bear it.
And so, until my heaven arrives and I am free to live in peace with all animals, I'll continue to enjoy the daily blessings of my sweet furry children- Patience, Nell, Shackleton, Oliver, Sam Adams, Charlie, Stuart, Lady, Winnie, Mistie, Nutmeg and Jeffrey- and will watch the geese and deer and find joy in that and pray for their safety.

No comments: