Thursday, July 26, 2007

Learning new things

Yesterday I was riding home from work along the Olentangy bike trail, and couldn't help but notice the abundant numbers of Queen Anne's Lace flowers growing everywhere. They are so common that a person might not even see them, or think them mundane. In my new resolve to appreciate the wonders of daily life, I got off my bike and really studied these delicate flowers, which truly resemble the woven fabric for which they are named. I knew that these were introduced to North America from Europe, and are named for the English Monarch who used to sew lace. According to one source, there is a small red center in each flower, the legend being that this represents the blood from the queen's finger when she pricked it with her needle.
What I didn't know is that this flower is in reality a wild carrot, known to be a contraceptive as long ago as the time of Hippocrates.

No comments: