Monday, July 23, 2007

Bird watching

Sam has discovered the table in front of our bedroom window, put there so the cats can look out at the bird feeder. I put out sunflower seeds, corn chips, suit, and black thistle and have enjoyed watching cardinals, gold finches, titmice, wrens, jays, chickadees, sparrows and doves dining. My enjoyment comes from both watching the different species- all with their own colors, songs and behaviors- and from feeling happy that I've given them something to eat.
Sam and his feline siblings watch in anticipation of a bird dinner. Because I know they can't actually get to the birds, I find their intense hunting postures, tail twitching and teeth chattering somewhat amusing. Nell, whose photo was in an earlier blog, will duck as a bird comes flying in, as if she's afraid the bird is going to come through the window and buzz her. So I conclude that I get double value for the money I spend on bird food: I get to watch the beautiful birds AND my silly cats.

No comments: