Thursday, May 8, 2008

Time

This isn't a picture of my watch, per se. It's just a Timex with the required nurse's second hand and real numbers rather than just lines. (Which leads me to say Happy Nurses Week to all my fellow nurses out there.)
Nope, this is a picture of the artificial measure that humans created long ago so that we could tick off the passage of our lives in some standard way. Lately, I swear that someone is playing a joke on me and the hands go around WAY faster than they used to. I just don't seem to have enough of that time stuff- not in a day or a week, or- hey, it CANNOT be May already. Didn't we just put the Christmas tree away?
Obviously the older we get the more we try to squeeze into a minute. My days are very full, but they are a good full. If I could change the time I spend it would be less at work and more at home. However, that isn't an option right now, so I don't dwell on it. I like my work, love my home and my family and my animals. I don't mind doing laundry or cleaning, although I admit to spending very little time cooking. And then there are also the pleasures of gardening and reading a good book, or doing a project for the class I'm taking at Ohio State. And I can't forget how much fun it is to rollerblade or take the dogs for a walk.
The one thing that I am so grateful to my hospice patients for is they taught me to enjoy, savor, and appreciate every day, as none of us are promised one second more than the one we have right now, and oops- there goes that one, and another, and- see, someone IS playing tricks with my watch. Have a good day!

No comments: