Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can you see him??

Right in the very center of this picture, can you see the dark object at the top of the tree in the middle of the reeds? OK, admittedly it is a small spot, but it is a red wing black bird protecting his domain. Undoubtedly, somewhere in the protective grass below, his female companion (Significant Other? Wife?) is in their nest with their future offspring. One of the reasons I enjoy a morning commute via bicycle is that I get to pass by the wetlands. This time of year I usually get buzzed by a red wing, just to make certain I know to stay away from HIS territory...So far this year I'm still waiting. The red wings' buzzy trills fill the cool morning air, joined by the songs and calls of robins, cardinals, song sparrows, and some species whose songs I don't know. Everywhere along the trail it is green, green, green, no doubt because it has rained for days here. The forecast is for one nice sunny day- today- and a return of rain for the rest of the week. I'll enjoy today.

No comments: