Thursday, January 31, 2008

Leah

I was given 2 special blessings when I married Jim. Of course, there was him. But in addition, there was Leah, his daughter, who was 3 at the time we married. For better or worse, Leah has had two homes since 1996 where she spent
equal amounts of time. Since I have been her stepmom since she was a very little child, I have had both the joys and responsibilities of helping raise a second daughter. Especially in the last couple of years, we have formed a strong bond of love and friendship that I treasure.
Leah is as nice a person as any parent could want. I believe that she is the opposite of whatever "the perfect storm" would be. In that case, two different weather systems converge to create horrific wind and waves. In Leah's case, the combination of a sensitive, sweet- natured person and excellent parenting had produced an exceptionally wonderful human being. I claim little credit in the parenting part- some, but less significant than her mom and Jim. Having lived with Jim while he raised his daughter, I have never ceased to be in awe of what a wonderful father he is. He played Barbies with her when she was 3, has helped her assembly climbing ropes on the big oak out back, and has been a part of her life in every way. From the time she was little, he always said that he would treat her with respect and not talk down to her just because she was young, and he has done that. I have no doubt that Jim will always be her hero, as he deserves to be.
The older Leah gets, the more she amazes me. She is a talented artist and draws faces and costumes that are incredible. She has designed and sewn her own clothes. From the time she was small, she has had a unique fashion sense; she pairs clothes and accessories that would never have occurred to me and looks great in them. The hat she is wearing is typical of her tastes- she saw this at a store and gravitated to it immediately. It is a classic flapper hat with beadwork and embroidery. It is a stylish, unique accessory for a stylish, unique and very dear young woman.

No comments: