Friday, January 11, 2008

Becoming

Have the courage to be different
-Jonathon Livingston Seagull

These words were printed on a pair of socks that I never wore, but hung on the wall in front of my desk as a teen. I loved Jonathon and embraced his message. He flew alone, practicing dives while the other gulls laughed at him. In the end, he remained true to himself.

Remembering this (what ever DID happen to those socks??) I suppose it should be no surprise that I value individuality. I applaud people who aren't afraid to be who they are.

One of my favorite lines in a movie was in the version of Robin Hood with Morgan Freeman. A small child who has never seen a person with dark skin asks him "Are you painted?" He laughs and then replies, "Am I painted? Most assuredly! Allah loves great variety."

I paint myself one stroke at a time and I hope- I know- that my God/Allah/ Creator likes my colors, for from Where else did I get the paint?

No comments: