Thursday, September 27, 2007

Getting Ready

Once I had been invited to Australia, there was an immediate need to obtain a passport, something I have never done before. It was a fairly painless process, in spite of the 13 week wait, which really didn't matter that much since I had time. When applying, I presented myself at the post office with all necessary documents. I opened the envelope containing my original, yellowed 48 year old birth certificate, handed it to the postal employee, and to my chagrin, he informed me that they were going to keep it!! He said that if I wanted, I could go to some place across town and have a certified copy made and give that one to them for keeps, but I decided that, sad as I was to part with a piece of my past, I needed to get the application done.
After the passport arrived, I applied for a visa to enter Australia. In the interim, I worked a lot of overtime, bought my airline tickets (on the wrong date the first time!!) , purchased a few items of clothing, a hat with a big bill and neck protector, and my first digital camera. It has been great fun learning to use the camera. I usually have it with me everywhere I go and have enjoyed taking pictures of the changing scenery from spring through summer.
We received a packet of information about what to expect, as well as some abbreviations to learn that we will use to document whale behaviors and I have studied that as the weeks passed.
And now, with just a few days to go, my suitcase is mostly packed and I'm finishing up the last instructions at the office for events that will take place in my absence. I bought enough dog, cat and rabbit food to last 3 weeks so that Jim, who will have his hands full, at least won't have to worry about supplies. All of the "to do's" that are within my control are just about done. There's just one thing left "to do", really the only thing I can't control, and that is to feel excited about going.

No comments: