Thursday, November 15, 2007

A good man

Frank has worn many hats in his life- father, husband, principal- to name a few. The hat he wore in World War II is the one that makes him a hero. Now, he would deny that, just as (I hear) just about all of the WWII vets do. I know almost nothing about his time in the service- not even which branch of the service he was part of. But I do know that he went, he served, and in doing so, risked what every other veteran did. Although it has been many years since those times, he still has all of the characteristics that make these men and women "The Greatest Generation". He is hard working, honest, loyal. His children are grown; he and his wife Mary Jo enjoy their grandchildren- he tells me about them from time to time. Mary Jo is a lovely lady who was an avid gardener, but has had to give that up due to health issues. Sometimes she has little energy, but Frank makes certain she gets out of the house. I see them occasionally as they come and go, she a bit unsteady, and he always at her elbow to give support. In addition to helping his wife, Frank is always looking for ways to help out his neighbors. He'll take trash to the curb for neighbors who forgot, or empty the sidewalk of snow while working neighbors are at their jobs. I believe that being of service is important to him. That unselfishness and sense of duty to everyone around him endears him to me. I am grateful to know him and hope he wanders over to tell me a story while I am out gardening for many years to come.

No comments: