Monday, November 19, 2007

A Gift Via Australia

This is Lea, a beautiful woman from Michigan who was a fellow intern on my trip to Hervey Bay to research whales. We had "met" online and chatted for a couple of months before the trip, as we were provided each other's email address by the foundation. I learned that she is the mother of Isaiah, a smart, sweet son who loves animals; that she has driven a city bus for many years and loves her job; and that she had a longer wait for her passport than I did!
We finally met face to face at about 11PM in the LA airport at the ridiculously crowded gate for our flight to Brisbane. We were subsequently packed into different areas of the plane and didn't meet up again until we arrived 12 hours later.
Lea saved me on that trip- from our very first night in Hervey Bay, when she heard me get up at 2AM and came to sit on the couch with me while I cried from jet lag, heat and humidity, and disappointment in what we had encountered so far at the house we were to stay in. She fixed me something to eat and hugged me and promised we'd be a team and stick together- and she kept her promise! We experienced an unforgettable whale encounter on our second (and my last) day on the boat with a mother whale and her calf. When I moved into a motel, Lea came along too, and even though it meant I was leaving her behind, she helped me get my flight home early and went to the airport at Hervey Bay to see me off.
We had some good laughs and long talks and I got to know her over the days we spent in Australia. She is a strong, spiritual, amazing person, and a new friend I plan to keep for life.

No comments: