Friday, August 15, 2008

Safe travels- I'll miss you

The redwings are gone for the year. In ways known only to them, they sensed the coming of the cooler weather and have set out for their winter destination. I love these cheeky birds. To me, more than any other sign, they are the harbingers of spring, returning to Ohio in late February when little else indicates winter is nearly over. I'll see them in their favorite places, perched atop a cattail, swaying in the breeze. The males would be nondescript if not for the brilliant red patches under their wings. They show those off proudly; the contrast of black and red is eye-catching and beautiful. Their willingness to swoop at humans who walk, bike, or blade too close to their nests hidden in the reeds speaks of their bold personalities, just like their wing patches. And so, in mid-August, the wetlands seem empty as I go past. I miss their presence on the cattails and their buzzy calls, and wish them safe travels until they return to us next spring.

No comments: