Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Break

Yep, a break. From nursing, fixing my hair, and just about everything else that requires the use of both hands. And probably, sadly, from rollerblading for the rest of the summer.

I went out for a blade Thursday the 18th after work. It had been a beautiful day and I went straight from work to the Olentangy bike trail, changing from my scrubs to roller attire in the car. It was the joyous, free flying, as-close-as-you-can-get-to-dancing-along-the-sidewalk fun it usually is. I went all the way to the end of the trail and was nearly back when my right skate hit something slick as I pushed off. With a complete loss of balance, I fell forward onto my left hand, then rolled to my right side. In the seconds it took to fall, I was having a conversation with myself regarding what the outcome would be: the usual getting up, wiping off the dirt, suffering a scrape and possible humiliation if someone was watching, or something more. I sat up, looked at my wrist, and noticed immediately, being a trained health care professional, that #$@!!, it was broken, as my wrist and hand had a funny "s" shape that didn't use to be there.

Many kind folks stopped to help, and a couple walked up off the path with me, as the medics were unable to reach us on the trail. They hauled my sweaty, dirt-covered self to the OSU ED, where Jim was waiting and my previous co-workers took excellent care of me. Last Monday I had a plate and multiple pins surgically placed- an ORIF, or open reduction, internal fixation of my shattered and dislocated distal radius, followed by tender loving care from my husband, mom, and sibs.

I have become pretty good at one- handing a lot of things: hanging sheets on the line (teeth involved); mopping the kitchen floor (propping the mop handle on my thigh as I used my right hand to scrub), and typing. I haven't figured out how to do ANYTHING with my hair with only one hand, nor can I floss, and that's one thing I won't ask for help with. While I wait, Jim and I will research and buy a good wrist brace that will be my concession to begin dancing on wheels, flying free once again.



No comments: